- The Patron is the body that establishes the school.
- The Patron appoints the Board of Management of the school.
- The Patron also determines the ethos of the school.
- These responsibilities are set out in law under the 1998 Education Act.
The Patron’s permission is required to operate a credit card or take out a loan.
Schools may still have to submit accounts to their Patron as well as FSSU.
The Board of Management is required to manage the school on behalf of the Patron. In this regard:
- The FSSU will, where requested, provide Patrons with a list of their schools indicating if they are compliant in relation to the submission of annual school accounts.
- Patrons may, where appropriate, contact the FSSU to request that an audit of a school be carried out.
As per Circular 0060/2017, for the 2018/2019 school year, the FSSU will be able to provide the Patron with information for all the schools under their Patronage.
The FSSU will, where requested, provide Patrons with a list of their schools indicating if they are compliant in relation to the submission of annual school accounts.
The FSSU can also provide the Trial Balance for each school under the remit of the individual Patrons.
Regarding whether accounts being sent to the Patron is continued/discontinued, this is up to the individual Patron, but the Patron does have the right to receive the accounts from schools in a manner they deem fit.
Sec 19 of the Education Act (4) A Principal or board shall supply the patron and the Minister with such information regarding the performance of the board’s functions as the Patron or the Minister, as the case may be, may from time to time require.
Currently there are six Management Bodies
- CPSMA (Catholic Primary School Management Association)
- Educate Together
- An Foras Pátrúnachachta
- Church of Ireland Synod
- NABMSE (Special Education)
- Muslim Education Board
Queries re contracts of employment should be referred to Management Bodies.
If you have a query that is not addressed in these FAQs, please email us at email@example.com.