MPLC – Motion Picture Licence Motion Picture Licensing Company International DAC

This Licence applies to the showing of videos, DVDs, downloads etc.  If the item is for entertainment purposes only a licence may be required. If a school is showing educational material this is exempt.

This exemption is narrowly defined and applies only for educational use where the content is shown in the classroom, as part of the curriculum course or study programme. All other school showings require a separate licence

ICLA – Copyright Licence Irish Copyright Licensing Agency 

This is paid centrally by the Department of Education

Please see link.

TV Licence TV Licence 

A school only needs a TV licence if it has a TV set. A licence is not required when using whiteboards or watching a replay on a computer.

Guide to copyright licensing in schools

There are a number of copyright licences available to schools which facilitates legal access to and sharing of print, music and audio-visual content. Licenses are usually renewable annually and the cost is calculated on a per student basis.
Examples of activities requiring a licence

If you have a query that is not addressed in these FAQs, please email us at