The Charities Act 2009 requires all schools to register as charities with the Charities Regulator. The Charities Regulator encourages all schools to submit their application as soon as possible.
How to Register
- Go to the Charities Regulator Website
- Create a new user account known as ‘MyAccount’ by selecting the “Log In” button
- Click on the “Sign Up” option. Once all user details have been submitted an email will be sent to the email address that has been provided. This email contains a verification link.
- The school should click on the link, log in, select the appropriate form and make the application.
- Please see the User Guide for further guidance on registration.
One of the requirements of the online form is to upload the governing document of the organisation. For many schools, this is the Articles of Management.
Click here to download the Articles of Management.
Schools that do not use the Articles of Management as their governing document should contact their Trustee/Patron for the governing document relevant to their school.
On receipt of the Registered Charity Number (RCN), the board should ensure that this number is shown on the school website, any fundraising material and is also included on the headed paper of the school. If the board avails of the Charitable Donations Scheme, the RCN will be required by Revenue.