The Financial Support Services Unit is responsible for setting up a framework of financial management, accountability and control for all schools in the Voluntary sector. Schools in the Community and Comprehensive sector will come within the remit of the FSSU from January 2018.
This is carried out through the following:
- Standardisation of school accounts, procedures and practices
- Collation and review of annual financial reports from school
Preparation of accounts
Inservice and OnsiteTraining
- Financial management seminars for Boards of Management and Principals
- One to one and group training for new Principals
- One to one and group training for Accounts secretaries / Bursars
- Specific studies or projects requested on aspects of financial management at individual school level.
Advice and Support
Ongoing telephone and online support for financial and Sage queries
Financial Guidelines and Information
- Ongoing dissemination of up to date financial guidelines and information
Selection of School Accounts Personnel
FSSU personnel are available to advise on the selection process for school accounts personnel.
Financial Internal Controls Review
Financial Internal Controls Review is a process designed to assist Principals and Boards of Management to implement best financial practice in line with the Guidelines for Financial Management in Voluntary Schools. It is intended to be a supportive process to enable schools to benchmark their approach to financial management against recommended guidelines.
Based on this review and appraisal, a report is prepared for the Board of Management outlining the school’s strengths and weaknesses in the area of financial management and making recommendations for improvement and change.
The Financial Internal Controls Reviews are a continuous process and are essential in assisting schools to implement best accounting practice and ensuring they comply with the provisions of the Education Act 1998 in terms of accountability, transparency and financial responsibility for State and other funding.
Liaison with the Department of Education and Skills
The FSSU liaises with the relevant sections and officials in the Department of Education and Skills in relation to all financial matters pertaining to all Voluntary Schools.