Submitting Accounts to the FSSU
The FSSU will soon be issuing logon details to all external accountants working with schools. We would appreciate if you are currently engaged by the Board of Management of any Primary Schools to email firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the roll numbers of the schools you are working with. This information will be used to complete a database of all accountancy firms who are currently providing accounting services to primary schools and for no other purpose.
The FSSU will act as a central repository for receipt of school accounts prepared by an external accountant/ auditor. Currently, there is no national platform that exists for schools to submit their accounts to the DES. The FSSU will be tasked with this function and will become a central repository for the receipt of all annual school accounts. It is apparent that a large volume of schools already engage with external accountants / auditors to prepare the school’s annual accounts. The FSSU’s process will simply require that these external accountants / auditors register with the FSSU and file annual accounts online. This annual submission will also satisfy the legal requirements of the Central Statistics Office and the Charities Regulator.
Training Events for External Accountants
In November 2019 the FSSU provided training for the new system of online submission of financial accounts for Primary and Voluntary Secondary Schools. The events were held in six venues nationwide.The training covered the following items:
- Introduction to the Financial Support Services Unit
- Online Submission of Accounts
- Financial Accounting Issues Specific to School Sector
Files for External Accountants
The FSSU have created a standardised Chart of Accounts (link to file below) that will be used as the basis for the submission of accounts.
The recommended format of Final (end of year) Accounts for Schools can be viewed by clicking on the link below:
The following is the envisaged timeline for the phased introduction of submission of annual school accounts to the FSSU:
- 2017/18 school year: FSSU to focus on provision of advice and support as part of preparations for the phased introduction of the standardised national template for school accounts.
- 2018/19 school year: This will be the first year for school accounts to be prepared using the standardised national template. This will be the required format for schools to fulfil obligations under s.18 of the Education Act 1998.
- End of February 2020: This will be the latest date for school accounts for the 2018/19 school year to be submitted to the FSSU. This is 6 months after end of 2018/19 school year.
- Annually thereafter: Annual School Accounts to be submitted to the FSSU in the prescribed format by the end of February (6 months after the end of the school year).